• Q: When will be supported mandatory accept of terms and conditions field?

A: Has been always there: is as easy as adding a checkbox and setting “equal to” rule to YES.

Q: What the Database options do exactly?

A: Basically you can:
    - empty or drop extra fields or extra fields data (inserted by users)
    - reset or drop plug-in’s options

Q: Yes but will this affect other data? It says “WordPress Fields table”, this is scary.

A: No, it will affect _only_ the data produced by the plug-in. Really.
    Also keep in mind that if you do NOT have to restore default values or uninstall the plug-in, then you do not need to touch them.

Q: Cimy User Extra Fields is not compatible with “Themed Login”, how can I do?

A: The reality is this plug-in IS compatible with WordPress 2.1 or greater and “Themed Login” NOT, so it’s NOT a Cimy User Extra Field’s bug! However I have tried with a little success a workaround to make it works, but first please understand that this is totally untested and unsupported hack, if you want a better one ask the author of that plug-in to support new WordPress!
    If you still want *my* personal and unsupported hack edit the plug-in “Themed Login” and do these 3 modifications:

1. at line 773, after “global $wpdb, $wp_query;” add this:
      global $errors;
    2. at line 811, before “if ( 0 == count($errors) ) {” add this:
      do_action(‘register_post’);
    3. at line 871, before “A password will be emailed to you.” add this:
      <?php do_action(‘register_form’); ?>

Q1: I got “Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted [...]“, why?
    Q2: I got blank pages after activating this plug-in, why?

A1: Because your memory limit is too low, to fix it edit your php.ini and search memory_limit key and put at least to 12M
    A2: If you do not have access to your php.ini you can try this workaround (might not work)

Q: Your plug-in is great, but when you will add support to add more than one choice in radio and dropdown fields?

A: This feature is here since ages, for radio field just use the same name, for dropdown field read instructions in the add field area (in the plug-in).

Q: Uploaded images are not resized, why?

A: You should add php-gd module (under Ubuntu install php5-gd package).

Q: Why big files are not being uploaded?

A: Please check this website, tells you how to change your PHP configurations to fix this issue: http://www.radinks.com/upload/config.php

Q: Why admin user cannot see all fields even if I set to do it?

A: Probably you installed the first time WordPress on PHP4 and you experienced this bug: http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/8317
    To fix the problem you need to create another administrator user and change admin user to another role and then back to administrator.

Q1: I’m using your plug-in on WordPress MultiSite per-blog installation and when I register one user all Extra Fields are ignored, why?
    Q2: I get this error: ‘Fatal error: Call to undefined function cimy_uef_mu_blog_exists()’, why?

A: Because you missed to move cimy_uef_mu_activation.php file please check carefully the installation steps.

Q: I’m using your plug-in on WordPress MultiSite per-blog installation, I’m registering users on one blog but they appear on the main blog too, why?

A: Because WordPress MS is designed like that and I can’t do anything about, however all extra fields and relative data are saved per-blog.
    Since I had already a long discussion with an user that didn’t believe this, don’t bother me to insist on this topic until you prove I’m wrong.

Q: I’m trying to use a regular expression in the rules, but the check does not work as expected, why?

A: Usually means your regex is wrong, please study how to properly build it: http://php.net/manual/en/function.preg-match.php

Q1: I do not see Extra Fields under the page user-new.php can you add there too?

Q2: How can I import new users with Extra Fields data into?

A: Unluckily due to a WordPress limitation I can’t add Extra Fields into user-new.php but you can quickly add all the users you want using my plugin: Cimy User Managerhttp://www.marcocimmino.net/cimy-wordpress-plugins/cimy-user-manager/

Q: I cannot edit neither delete some Extra Fields, usually after the 10th one, why?

A: Your PHP server is probably limiting number of $_POST elements, Suhosin for example does it. Please allow at least 500 or more vars.

Q: I am trying to change the fields’ order, but whatever I try it doesn’t work, why?

A: First of all you need to select at least 2 fields if you want to change the order.
    Secondly if you change for example field n.1 to position n.3 be sure that field n.3 goes into another position and finally that a field goes into position n.1
    In short: every field should have a new position or at least the same one, but no positions can be skipped or be present multiple times.

Q: When feature XYZ will be added?

A: I don’t know, remember that this is a 100% free project so answer is “When I have time and/or when someone help me with a donation”.

Q: Can I help with a donation?

A: Sure, visit the donation page or contact me via e-mail.

Q: Can I hack this plug-in and hope to see my code in the next release?

A: For sure, this is just happened and can happen again if you write useful new features and good code. Try to see how I maintain the code and try to do the same (or even better of course), I have rules on how I write it, don’t want “spaghetti code”, I’m Italian and I want spaghetti only on my plate.
    There is no guarantee that your patch will hit an official upcoming release of the plug-in, but feel free to do a fork of this project and distribute it, this is GPL!

Q1: I have found a bug what can I do?
    Q2: Something does not work as expected, why?

A: The first thing is to download the latest version of the plug-in and see if you still have the same issue.
    If yes please write me an email or write a comment but give as more details as you can, like:

• Plug-in version
    • WordPress version
    • MYSQL version
    • PHP version
    • exact error that is returned (if any)

after describe what you did, what you expected and what instead the plug-in did :)
    Then the MOST important thing is: DO NOT DISAPPEAR!
    A lot of times I cannot reproduce the problem and I need more details, so if you don’t check my answer then 80% of the times bug (if any) will NOT BE FIXED!

1,974 Responses

WP_Floristica
  1. Sean says:

Great plugin!

Should there be an ‘echo’ before the ‘get_cimy…’?

Thanks!

2. Marco Cimmino says:

Sean:
    you can have an echo before or just a $value=get… like I have done in “example” and then you can echo $value;

3. Patrick says:

I’m getting database errors. It never created the table so each place functions are called requiring it I’m alerted “WordPress database error: [Table 'devdal03_wrdp2.wp_cimy_data' doesn't exist]”

Running WP 2.1, PHP 4, MySQL 4

4. Marco Cimmino says:

you are not the first person that tell me this, please check your mysql users if has enough permissions to create and drop tables.

However if this is ok probably I’ll use some checks that aren’t supported by older mysql (I have MYSQL 5.0).

Send me a mail please after your checks

thanx

5. Patrick says:

Everything checked out alright.

I managed to manually create the tables and now the plugin works.

6. Marco Cimmino says:

Patrick please email me anyway I want to test a patch for this problem.

thanx

7. david says:

Hi,

I installed the 090 beta 1 version for WP 2.1 but when i try to add a custom field, i get this error:

WordPress database error: [Table 'patineta.wp_cimy_fields' doesn't exist]
    SELECT * FROM wp_cimy_fields ORDER BY ‘F_ORDER’

It seems it’s missing a table. What would be the line to add it via phpMyAdmin MySQL command line?

8. david says:

I use MySQL 5.0.18, php 5 and WP 2.1.1

9. Marco Cimmino says:

david during plug-in activation there was an error? Please let me know in my e-mail thanx

10. reb says:

is it possible to configure this to ‘admin only edit’?

11. Marco Cimmino says:

reb I think I haven’t understood your question, please give me more details thanx.

12. Aen Tan says:

Hi Marco,

Great plugin, I’m gonna try it on a WordPress-driven community site I’m building. As I mentioned, I’m building a community site with membership features and your plugin will definitely help in providing the extra user fields.

I hope to be able to add select, checkbox groups and radio fields also as I’m making my members select the certain options like preferences and subjects they like.

Seems that I cannot enter certain characters into the label field. When I enter “Gender (M/F)” I get an illegal characters error.

13. Marco Cimmino says:

Aen:
    read careful the readme file, I have written that only checkbox and text fields are available, checkbox cannot be grouped.

In the future I will extends this.
    For the illegal chars I know, will be better in the future too but there are some character I cannot allow due to sql injection, search google if you don’t know how it is.
    “(” and “)” are very used in sql injection ;) but I have some solutions that I can use.

stay tuned for updates
    Marco

14. wpthebest says:

Great Plugin. Just one question. I am using the Themed Login & Register plugin written by James Kelly. It appears that when this is on, none of your cimy fields appear in the wp-register.php page as it is “themed”. However, when I turn this plugin off I can see them on the default wp-register form. Is it possible to call the fields wherever you want? Like some php function? Example: . Like my example, where one can stick a Terms agreement checkbox anywhere on any page within your theme? Thanks!

15. Marco Cimmino says:

“wpthebest” probably the plug-in you use doesn’t support fully wordpress 2.1 try to add this code:
    < ?php do_action('register_form'); ?>

in the html form or ask the plug-in author to full support wordpress 2.1 hooks.

16. nathan says:

Might you have any plans to update this to allow for textarea fields?

Would be mighty useful (for me anyway 8] ).

Thanks for the plugin – it’s too great!

17. Evan Warner says:

Hey,

Great plugin. Just a few comments. Firstly, you mentioned that it would soon be able to group radio buttons. That would be great! Secondly and a bit off topic, what about a plugin to display all users details on a single wp page? I know that would be very useful for me and I imagine other people as well. Keep up the good work!

Evan

18. Marco Cimmino says:

nathan in the future, cannot plan for now! As you can see not so fast and not so slow this plug-in get reacher ;)

19. Marco Cimmino says:

Evan:
    this is just done, go to:
    “Users -> A&U Extended”

20. Antonia says:

Very nice and useful plugiin. Works like a charm. Hope you will be adding drop down menus soon. I could really use those.

21. VERY USEFULL PLUGIN… keep on work ! THANKS !

22. ritman says:

where can i read out the data on a user profil? i neeeeeeed this plugin..

great work..

23. Marco Cimmino says:

ritman do you mean get data inserted by user?

Look at get_cimyFieldValue function in the readme file

24. ritman says:

Hello, the project url: http://www.aupair-blog.de/eintraege/author/lali/

if i add the code in the author.php ->

Error:

WordPress Datenbank-Fehler: [You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'AND FIELD_ID=3' at line 1]
    SELECT VALUE FROM wp_cimy_data WHERE USER_ID= AND FIELD_ID=3

What is wrong? thx for the help

25. ritman says:

the code:

$value = get_cimyFieldValue(get_the_author_ID(), ‘ALTER’);

if ($value != NULL)
    echo $value;

26. Marco Cimmino says:

ritman I think the correct function to retrieve author id is the_author_ID() without get, try it ;)

27. Marco Cimmino says:

ritman please keep good language, we are here to help you and for free!

I’ve made a little example and both get_the_author_ID() and the_author_ID() worked, the difference is without “get” it is only displayed, with “get” you can use it in a variable or function like you want, but in both cases you should call it inside the loop, like this:

< ?php
    if (have_posts()) {
    while (have_posts()) {

the_post();

$value = get_cimyFieldValue(get_the_author_ID(), 'FIELD_NAME');

if ($value != NULL)

echo $value;

else

echo "Error!";

}
    }
    ?>

as said in the WordPress documentation for the_author_ID (but it’s the same for “get_the_author_ID”):

“This tag must be used within The Loop.”

28. Same problem … hmm

29. same, …. problem

WordPress database error: [You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'AND FIELD_ID=3' at line 1]
    SELECT VALUE FROM wp_cimy_data WHERE USER_ID= AND FIELD_ID=3

30. Marco Cimmino says:

nenad try solution provided by me in comment n.28 in my wordpress it worked ;)

31. no,.. i got

WordPress database error: [You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'AND FIELD_ID=' at line 1]
    SELECT VALUE FROM wp_cimy_data WHERE USER_ID= AND FIELD_ID=

and it’s repeat ;)

32. Marco Cimmino says:

nenad send me all the code via email, only with this error I cannot understand

33. Do you recive my eMail ?

34. Marco Cimmino says:

Nenad I have received one mail and I have sent you the answer, anyway my example wasn’t correct, see comment n.28 again, now should works ;)

Let me know

35. yes ! it work.. but he show ten times value, for my COUNTRY i got SerbiaSerbiaSerbiaSerbiaSerbiaSerbiaSerbiaSerbiaSerbiaSerbia

Ok,.. i will look,… and do you got logo ?

36. ok,… now i see what is problem,… i have 10 posts !! how many posts user have,.. thats how much your script return value ! (sorry for bad eng. i think you undestand me ) Thanx !

37. Marco Cimmino says:

Nenad PLEASE send me all the code where you call my function, not ONLY errors you have, as I said in comment n.33!

My email is the one wrote in THIS page before screenshots!

thanx

EDIT:
    ok I’ve read your last comment, but please read carefully what I write before comment, I have said two or three times to send me all the code and I haven’t received nothing.

bye

38. ysjack says:

hello
    Such plug-in was looked for. Although tried instantly, SQL has returned the error.

——————-
    WordPress database error: [Table 'LA03192066.wp_radio2_cimy_fields' doesn't exist]
    SELECT id, COUNT(*) FROM wp_radio2_cimy_fields GROUP BY id

SELECT * FROM wp_radio2_cimy_fields ORDER BY ‘F_ORDER’
    ———————
    I want to certainly use. Please give me advice. Please take care about your health. It respects.

PHP ver.4.3.11
    MySQL ver 4.0.24
    WP 2.1.2(ENG)
    UTF-8

39. April says:

Is there a way to use this so the user can create their own password instead of being emailed a password created by WP?

40. Marco Cimmino says:

ysjack:
    which version of the plugin you are using?
    Are you sure that your mysql user used by WordPress has privileges for creating tables?

41. Marco Cimmino says:

April: not for now, I don’t modify login form, only registration at the time and profile.

I will see in the future

42. ysjack says:

i try to use Cimy Version 0.9.0-beta7
    coz my WordPress 2.1.2 right?

I have already used 20 or more plug-in by my WordPress. SQL was not taken out until now. because being sure that the setup of my WORDPRESS to SQL suits.

Thank you for your consideration.

43. Marco Cimmino says:

ysjack also other people had your problem, but I have never been able to reproduce here with my installation.

tried deactivating and activating plug-in again? If it doesn’t work please email me (address is in this thread or in the readme file)

thanx

44. Leslie says:

It’s not creating the database for me also. Can I have the SQL code so I can manually setup the database in phpMyAdmin? Thanks.

45. Marco Cimmino says:

IMPORTANT:

To all people that have problems with plugin tables creation can please email me or comment here specifying if you have changed $table_prefix in config file or some other options about table names?

It’s very important for me to understand HOW to reproduce this bug.

thanx

46. Marco Cimmino says:

Ok I reproduced the problem thanx to ysjack from Japan:
    all people that have trouble with tables creation during plugin activation please check where plugin is installed, plugin MUST be in wp-content/plugins dir WITHOUT subdir.

Problem is how WordPress starts plugins, you have to write in the code
    an action called activate_[exact_file_name] but if you have a subdir in plugins I have to specify also that in the code

I will try to fix this in a future release.

UPDATE:
    Bug fixed in v0.9.0 beta8!

47. Great plugin. I’ve been waiting for something like this for a long time. Question: how hard would it be to implement additional syntax validation? I’m thinking specifically about phone numbers. I want to make sure users are required to enter a ten digit phone number.

48. Marco Cimmino says:

Scott is not so hard, but of course phone number are a little different from country to country, probably the best way is to let introduce a free regular expression that will be checked during registration… thanx for the suggestion!

49. OK ! I’m fix my error ! just remove
    {while (have_posts()) and evrything IS FINEEEE !! THNX AGAIN FOR THIS GRATE PLUGIN, and thanx for using logo !!!!

50. Bella says:

I too would like to know how to make this awesome plugin compatible with the Themed Login & Register plugin written by James Kelly. I saw the post below stating that you could add, ” ” ,

but I have no idea WHERE to implement that line.

Thanks for a great plug in.